Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt
Дата
Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt  (Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres@jeltef.nl>)
Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11.09.23 13:59, Jelte Fennema wrote:
> @Tom and @Robert, since you originally suggested extending the
> protocol for this, I think some input from you on the protocol design
> would be quite helpful. BTW, this protocol extension is the main
> reason I personally care for this patch, because it would allow
> PgBouncer to ask for updates on certain GUCs so that it can preserve
> session level SET commands even in transaction pooling mode.
> Right now PgBouncer can only do this for a handful of GUCs, but
> there's quite a few others that are useful for PgBouncer to preserve
> by default:
> - search_path
> - statement_timeout
> - lock_timeout

ISTM that for a purpose like pgbouncer, it would be simpler to add a new
GUC "report these variables" and send that in the startup message?  That
might not help with the psql use case, but it would be much simpler.