Re: Statistics Import and Export

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Statistics Import and Export
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2024-04-17 at 11:50 -0500, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> It looks like the problem is that the ACLs are getting dumped in the
> data
> section when we are also dumping stats.  I'm able to get the tests to
> pass
> by moving the call to dumpRelationStats() that's in dumpTableSchema()
> dumpTableData().  I'm not entirely sure why that fixes it yet, but if
> we're
> treating stats as data, then it intuitively makes sense for us to
> dump it
> in dumpTableData().

Would it make sense to have a new SECTION_STATS?

>  However, that seems to prevent the stats from getting
> exported in the --schema-only/--binary-upgrade scenario, which
> presents a
> problem for pg_upgrade.  ISTM we'll need some extra hacks to get this
> work as desired.

Philosophically, I suppose stats are data, but I still don't understand
why considering stats to be data is so important in pg_dump.

Practically, I want to dump stats XOR data. That's because, if I dump
the data, it's so costly to reload and rebuild indexes that it's not
very important to avoid a re-ANALYZE.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis