Re: pg_upgrade fails with in-place tablespace

От Rui Zhao
Тема Re: pg_upgrade fails with in-place tablespace
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I don't think that your solution is the correct move.  Having
> pg_tablespace_location() return the physical location of the
> tablespace is very useful because that's the location where the
> physical files are, and client applications don't need to know the
> logic behind the way a path is built.

I understand your concern. I suggest defining the standard behavior of the in-place tablespace to match that of the pg_default and pg_global tablespaces. The location of the pg_default and pg_global tablespaces is not a concern because they have default paths. Similarly, the location of the in-place tablespace is not a concern because they are all pg_tblspc/<oid>.

Another reason is that, up until now, we have been creating in-place tablespaces using the following command:
CREATE TABLESPACE space_test LOCATION ''
However, when using pg_dump to back up this in-place tablespace, it is dumped with a different path:
CREATE TABLESPACE space_test LOCATION 'pg_tblspc/<oid>'
This can be confusing because it does not match the initial path that we created. Additionally, pg_restore cannot restore this in-place tablespace because the CREATE TABLESPACE command only supports an empty path for creating in-place tablespaces.

> That may not work on Windows where the driver letter is appended at
> the beginning of the path, no?  There is is_absolute_path() to do this
> job in a more portable way.

You are correct. I have made the necessary modifications to ensure compatibility with in-place tablespaces. Please find the updated code attached.

--
Best regards,
Rui Zhao