Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/7/23 08:35, Daniel Verite wrote:
>     Joe Conway wrote:
>
>> The attached should fix the CopyOut response to say one column. I.e. it
>> ought to look something like:
>
> Spending more time with the doc I came to the opinion that in this bit
> of the protocol, in CopyOutResponse (B)
> Int16
> The number of columns in the data to be copied (denoted N below).
>
> this number must be the number of columns in the source.
> That is for COPY table(a,b,c)    the number is 3, independently
> on whether the result is formatted in text, cvs, json or binary.
>
> I think that changing it for json can reasonably be interpreted
> as a protocol break and we should not do it.
>
> The fact that this value does not help parsing the CopyData
> messages that come next is not a new issue. A reader that
> doesn't know the field separator and whether it's text or csv
> cannot parse these messages into fields anyway.
> But just knowing how much columns there are in the original
> data might be useful by itself and we don't want to break that.

Ok, that sounds reasonable to me -- I will revert that change.

> The other question for me is, in the CopyData message, this
> bit:
> " Messages sent from the backend will always correspond to single data rows"
>
> ISTM that considering that the "[" starting the json array is a
> "data row" is a stretch.
> That might be interpreted as a protocol break, depending
> on how strict the interpretation is.

If we really think that is a problem I can see about changing it to this
format for json array:

8<------------------
copy
(
   with ss(f1, f2) as
   (
     select 1, g.i from generate_series(1, 3) g(i)
   )
   select ss from ss
) to stdout (format json, force_array);
[{"ss":{"f1":1,"f2":1}}
,{"ss":{"f1":1,"f2":2}}
,{"ss":{"f1":1,"f2":3}}]
8<------------------

Is this acceptable to everyone?

Or maybe this is preferred?
8<------------------
[{"ss":{"f1":1,"f2":1}},
  {"ss":{"f1":1,"f2":2}},
  {"ss":{"f1":1,"f2":3}}]

Or as long as we are painting the shed, maybe this?

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team