Re: pg_service.conf ?

От Woody Woodring
Тема Re: pg_service.conf ?
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
According to the 8.1 documentation, libpq looks in $PGSYSCONFDIR. As a user
it would make sense to me if JDBC looked at the same environment variable.

Woody

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Christopher Browne
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 11:56 AM
To: pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] pg_service.conf ?

In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, pg@fastcrypt.com (Dave
Cramer) transmitted:
> Ever wanted to retract an email after you sent it ? I realized the
> complete stupidity of that statement 30 seconds after I hit send

Well, this is a common enough problem that there are occasions where people
build server-based mechanisms for it...

Oracle has something whose name I misremember where you head to a server to
get the *real* server configuration.

CORBA had this notion with the Naming Service; you start by getting a
connection to a Naming Service object, and then ask where the *real*
services are...

How to do it "right" for JDBC is a good question.  Searching for .pgpass in
$HOME is pretty obvious.  It is less obvious where to search for
pg_service.conf if all that is installed is JDBC, and there is no PostgreSQL
instance around.
--
output = reverse("gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/internet.html