Re: Question re large objects

От Mitch Vincent
Тема Re: Question re large objects
Дата
Список pgsql-php
> BLOBs are not dumped from pgsql.

OK, that makes sense -- I do a file system backup though, in addition to
pg_dump..

> This might be because there's no valid SQL to create BLOBs, and since
> pgsql dumps are supposed to be SQL, it just doesn't work.
> I don't think you understand large objects.  When you create one, you
> get an OID. When you want to retrieve it, you hand it the OID.
> End of story.  And, again, they are dumped by pg_dump.

You're right, I didn't understand large objects (never had any reason to use
them), I thought PG implemented BLOBs as a data type like *gulp* MySQL
*gulp*. I shouldn't have opened my mouth until I educated myself on them...

It seems that large objects are quite useless if you can't dump the data
(since as you point out, it's not SQL) though I guess a filesystem backup
would still work.. They sound like a disaster waiting to happen, glad I
haven't needed them...

An additional note (now that I read about Large Objects) it seems they're
broken up into different tuples so I guess they're total size isn't limited
by the BLCKSZ eh'?

Oh well, I still like flat-file storage for Christopher's project, even more
so now...

Thanks for pointing out my ignorance on this subject, I learned something.

-Mitch

В списке pgsql-php по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Question re large objects
Сообщение: RE: Question re large objects