Re: Subject: bool / vacuum full bug followup part 2

От Marin Dimitrov
Тема Re: Subject: bool / vacuum full bug followup part 2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Lane"

> "Marin Dimitrov" <marin.dimitrov@sirma.bg> writes:
> > related to this: it seems that there is no handy way to rebuild the
> > so that the it's storage is optimised (i.e. remove fragmentation).
>
> See REINDEX.

will REINDEX use only the index and never read from the table?

because it doesn't seem so - the docs say:  "REINDEX is used to rebuild
corrupted indexes....indexes may become corrupted due to software bugs or
hardware failures." , which implies the table is accessed (otherwise I don't
see a way of rebuilding the index based on its corrupted data)

the idea of ALTER INDEX ...REBUILD/COALESCE is that the index is optimised
without accessing the table, so it should be faster

    Marin

----
"...what you brought from your past, is of no use in your present. When
you must choose a new path, do not bring old experiences with you.
Those who strike out afresh, but who attempt to retain a little of the
old life, end up torn apart by their own memories. "