Search for data in a similar field in a related table, too

От szucs
Тема Search for data in a similar field in a related table, too
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
I have 2 tables:

MainTable, fields: id, data1
RelatedTable, fields: id, data2

RelatedTable is joined to MainTable via the 'id' field.
Field 'data2' in RelatedTable holds the same sort of data as 'data1' in
MainTable, though they may be different in length.

I could not figure out an SQL query, which returns all records where either
'data1' in the MainTable or 'data2' in the joined RelatedTable complies with
a common search condition.
(For the case of simplicity I did not mention that MainTable has more
fields, for which separate seach conditions may apply)

Is it possible to construct such an SQL query?