Re: libpq compression (part 3)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: libpq compression (part 3)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 5:21 PM Jacob Burroughs
<jburroughs@instructure.com> wrote:
> The reason for both the semicolons and for not doing this is related
> to using the same specification structure as here:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-pgbasebackup.html
> (specifically the --compress argument).

I agree with that goal, but I'm somewhat confused by how your proposal
achieves it. You had
libpq_compression=lzma:client_to_server=off;gzip:server_to_client=off,
so how do we parse that? Is that two completely separate
specifications, one for lzma and one for gzip, and each of those has
one option which is set to off? And then they are separated from each
other by a semicolon? That actually does make sense, and I think it
may do a better job allowing for compression options than my proposal,
but it also seems a bit weird, because client_to_server and
server_to_client are not really compression options at all. They're
framing when this compression specification applies, rather than what
it does when it applies. In a way it's a bit like the fact that you
can prefix a pg_basebackup's --compress option with client- or server-
to specify where the compression should happen. But we can't quite
reuse that idea here, because in that case there's no question of
doing it in both places, whereas here, you might want one thing for
upstream and another thing for downstream.

> Alternatively, we could have `connection_compression`,
> `connection_compression_server_to_client`, and
> `connection_compression_client_to_server` as three separate GUCs (and
> on the client side `compression`, `compression_server_to_client`, and
> `compression_client_to_server` as three separate connection
> parameters), where we would treat `connection_compression` as a
> default that could be overridden by an explicit
> client_to_server/server_to_client.  That creates the slightly funky
> case where if you specify all three then the base one ends up unused
> because the two more specific ones are being used instead, but that
> isn't necessarily terrible.  On the server side we *could* go with
> just the server_to_client and client_to_server ones, but I think we
> want it to be easy to use this feature in the simple case with a
> single libpq parameter.

I'm not a fan of three settings; I could go with two settings, one for
each direction, and if you want both you have to set both. Or, another
idea, what if we just separated the two directions with a slash,
SEND/RECEIVE, and if there's no slash, then it applies to both
directions. So you could say
connection_compression='gzip:level=9/lzma' or whatever.

But now I'm wondering whether these options should really be symmetric
on the client and server sides? Isn't it for the server just to
specify a list of acceptable algorithms, and the client to set the
compression options? If both sides are trying to set the compression
level, for example, who wins?

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: RE: Fix src/test/subscription/t/029_on_error.pl test when wal_debug is enabled
Сообщение: RE: Fix src/test/subscription/t/029_on_error.pl test when wal_debug is enabled