Re: Searching a gin index

От James Dooley
Тема Re: Searching a gin index
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:
James - don't repeat the whole of the previous message in your replies,
trim it to the relevant part. The message is already archived on the list.

James Dooley wrote:
> Oleg, but I am only interested in whether or not the syntax of my
> search-query is correct.
>
> Having created the index as I mentioned above, would the correct way of
> searching and using that index be
>
> ... AND (title || '' || description || '' || name) @@ plainto_tsquery('car')

That looks like a correct syntax, but it's unlikely to use your index -
your index was created on to_tsvector('my_config', ...)

Got it, I will use the same function and parameters as the one created on the index. As a matter a fact now the index seems to be used after I added the strip(to_tsvector(...))

Good!!

> or should it be as Richard just mentioned
>
> ... AND to_tsvector(title || '' || description || '' || name) @@
> plainto_tsquery('car')
>
> or some other way ?

Try playing around with the example I gave, and try variations on it. Do
you understand why you have to supply a config when creating the
functional index? Do you understand the difference between
plainto_tsquery() and to_tsquery()?

Yes, I do understand the difference.

--
 Richard Huxton
 Archonet Ltd

Now everything is working, I added my config to

plainto_tsquery('my_config', 'cars')

and I get results back. I find that strange though since I set the default to be by config, but appearantly that was just temporary and for the PID that changed it. Running from my app seemed to keep using the old configuration.

Thanks all for your help.

Now I have a complete and working fulltext search!

PostgreSQL rules!!