Re: pg17 issues with not-null contraints

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: pg17 issues with not-null contraints
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 06, 2024 at 06:34:16PM +0200, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2024-May-06, Justin Pryzby wrote:
>
> > > (Do you really want the partition to be
> > > created without the primary key already there?)
> >
> > Why not ?  The PK will be added when I attach it one moment later.
> >
> > CREATE TABLE part (LIKE parent);
> > ALTER TABLE parent ATTACH PARTITION part ...
>
> Well, if you load data in the meantime, you'll spend time during `ALTER
> TABLE parent` for the index to be created.  (On the other hand, you may
> want to first create the table, then load data, then create the

To be clear, I'm referring to the case of CREATE+ATTACH to avoid a
strong lock while creating a partition in advance of loading data.  See:
20220718143304.GC18011@telsasoft.com
f170b572d2b4cc232c5b6d391b4ecf3e368594b7
898e5e3290a72d288923260143930fb32036c00c

> This would also solve your complaint, because then the table would have
> the not-null constraint in all cases.

I agree that it would solve my complaint, but at this time I've no
further opinion.

--
Justin