Re: [GENERAL] Pricing

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Pricing
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, James Olin Oden wrote:

> > > PostgreSQL was built under the GPL.
> >
> >         Wash your mouth out with soap, then use steel wool...PostgreSQL
> > was *never* built under the GPL and never will be.  Blasphemer!!
>
>   Pardon this ignorant soul, but why so much GNU bashing?  I understand
> that PostgreSQL choose a different licensing method, and that it is a good
> one, but GNU's not really that bad.  I mean how many times do you think the
> PostgreSQL source has been compiled by GNU compilers?

    Not GNU bashing, GPL bashing.  *Big* difference, in some of our
minds.  There is a reason that Netscape didn't put themselves under GPL
when they went OpenSource...its good for everyone *but* the developer
themselves...

    I run FreeBSD at home for many reasons...one of which is that it
doesn't fall under GPL, unlike some of our brethren out there...