Re: survey: psql syntax errors abort my transactions

От Julien Rouhaud
Тема Re: survey: psql syntax errors abort my transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 7:46 PM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/3/20 1:54 AM, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> > This is my favorite example why I like the way PostgreSQL does things:
> >
> > /* poor man's VACUUM (FULL) */
> > BEGIN;
> > CREATTE TABLE t2 AS SELECT * FROM t1;
> > DROP TABLE t1;
> > ALTER TABLE t2 RENAME TO t1;
> > COMMIT;
>
> How so, since it does not carry over indexes, foreign keys, triggers,
> partition references, etc?

The point of this example is that if you have a typo in the CREATE
TABLE like here, you *don't want* to continue executing the commands,
which would drop the original table while you don't have a copy of the
data anymore.  That's what he meant by liking the way postgres does
things, not how to do this poor man's vacuum full.