Re: [HACKERS] pow support for pgbench

От Raúl Marín Rodríguez
Тема Re: [HACKERS] pow support for pgbench
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] pow support for pgbench
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Please add the new function into the documentation table in alphabetical order.
Fixed in the attached patch.

 What's the name of the backend function whose behavior this matches?
As Fabien has mentioned, it tries to behave as "numeric_power". Maybe we it'd
better if we switch to "dpow" (which is pow with some error handling) and always
return a double. What do you think?

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 8:02 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 4:57 AM, Raúl Marín Rodríguez
<rmrodriguez@carto.com> wrote:
> I've rebased the patch so it can be applied cleanly on top of current
> master.

Please add the new function into the documentation table in alphabetical order.

The fact that the return type is not consistently of one type bothers
me.  I'm not sure pgbench's expression language is a good place to
runtime polymorphism -- SQL doesn't work that way.

+ /*
+  * pow() for integer values with exp >= 0. Matches SQL pow() behaviour
+  */

What's the name of the backend function whose behavior this matches?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--