Re: Building on S390

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Building on S390
Дата
Re: Building on S390
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
On 11/22/13, 12:41 PM, Michael Meskes wrote:
> Checking the Debian logs it appears that all calls use *both* which seems to do
> the right thing. And yes, it appears there is a change in XC that makes it
> break. But still, I would think there has to be a correct set of options.

According to the Debian build logs, postgres-xc compiles the entire
backend with -fPIC.  Not sure what sense that makes.

Debian policy is to always use -fPIC

IIRC -fpic is good enough as long as the total size of the library is below some limit. I'm not sure precisely what this size is that has to be below the limit but if I recall correctly it's something you have no way to determine in advance for a general purpose library. So Debian decided long long ago to just use -fPIC always.

--
greg