Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 9:03 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 3:06 AM Pavel Luzanov <p.luzanov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> As for the Login column and its values.
> I'm not sure about using "Can" instead of "yes" to represent true.
> In other psql commands, boolean values are always shown as yes/no.
> NULL instead of false might be possible, but I'd rather check if this approach
> has been used elsewhere. I prefer consistency everywhere.

I don't think we can use "Can" to mean "yes". That's going to be
really confusing.

Agreed

If I see that the connection limit is labelled as (irrelevant)
I don't know why it's labelled that way and, if it were me, I'd likely
end up looking at the source code to figure out why it's showing it
that way.

Or we'd document what we've done and users that don't want to go looking at source code can just read our specification.

I think we should go back to the v4 version of this patch, minus the
(ignored) stuff.

Agreed, I'm past the point of wanting to have this behave more intelligently rather than a way for people to avoid having to go write a catalog using query themselves.

David J.