Re: libpq compression (part 3)

От Jelte Fennema-Nio
Тема Re: libpq compression (part 3)
Дата
Re: libpq compression (part 3)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 17 May 2024 at 23:10, Jacob Champion
<jacob.champion@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> We're talking about a transport-level option, though -- I thought the
> proposal enabled compression before authentication completed? Or has
> that changed?

I think it would make sense to only compress messages after
authentication has completed. The gain of compressing authentication
related packets seems pretty limited.

> (I'm suspicious of arguments that begin "well you can already do bad
> things"

Once logged in it's really easy to max out a core of the backend
you're connected as. There's many trivial queries you can use to do
that. An example would be:
SELECT sum(i) from generate_series(1, 1000000000) i;

So I don't think it makes sense to worry about an attacker using a
high compression level as a means to DoS the server. Sending a few of
the above queries seems much easier.