Re: psql: show only failed queries

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: psql: show only failed queries
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 26 June 2014 11:53, Samrat Revagade Wrote:

>> I am sending updated patch - buggy statement is printed via more logical psql_error function instead printf

>Thank you for updating patch, I really appreciate your efforts.

>Now, everything is good from my side.

>* it apply cleanly to the current git master

>* includes necessary docs

>* I think It is very good  and necessary feature.

>If Kumar Rajeev Rastogi do not have any extra comments, then I think patch is  ready for committer.

I have reviewed this patch. Please find my review comments below:

1.     Command start-up option (e.g. -a/--echo-all for --ECHO=all), for new functionality is not provided.

all not options entered via psql variables has psql option and psql comment. I'll plan add new decription to --help-variables list.

If it is necessary I can add long option --echo-errors, I didn't a good char for short option. Any idea?

2.     New Command start-up option should be added in "psql --help" as well as in documentation.

depends on previous,

Also as I understand, this new option is kind of sub-set of existing option (ECHO=query), so should not we display

query string in the same format as it was getting printed earlier.

Though I also feel that prefixing query with STATEMENT word will be helpful to grep but at the same time I am worried

about inconsistency with existing option.

This is question. And I am not strong in feeling what should be preferred. But still I am inclined to prefer a variant with STATEMENT prefix. Mode with -a is used with different purpose than mode "show errors only" - and output with prefix is much more consistent with log entry - and displaying error. So I agree, so there is potential inconsistency (but nowhere is output defined), but this output is more practical, when you are concentrated to error's processing.

Regards

Pavel

Thanks and Regards,

Kumar Rajeev Rastogi