Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: User documentation vs Official Docs
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 at 20:14, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> > Sounds like wiki pages could solve need this pretty conveniently.  If
> > and when the content is mature enough and migrates to the tutorial main
> > documentation pages, the wiki pages can be replaced with redirects to
> > those.
>
> Anyone who writes a lot is going to rebel against using a wiki. They are
> one of the worst to write in from a productivity perspective. I would
> rather write in Docbook, at least then I can template everything and we
> could have a standard xsl sheet etc...

Indeed.

I think it would be a fine idea to have some proposals for improved examples
for the tutorial pages.  By putting them there, it becomes easy to reference
material either in reference sections or in the manual pages on SQL commands.
(As "for instances."  It would also be nice to have examples that make reference
to executable programs, whether pg_dump, pg_ctl, or ...)

I'd be willing to help write something of the sort; if I'm to shoot my mouth
off on what we ought to do, best to volunteer to actually make some of it
happen.

Having some small sample applications that do interesting things with
different Postgres facilities seems like a neat approach.

It would be interesting to have an example that makes decent use of
LISTEN/NOTIFY; people keep asking how to have PostgreSQL send
email, and writing a small example that handles it via queueing
requests into a table, where a daemon stops in to send queued
email once in a while.

Another idea would be an app that captures messages into tables
and enables full text search would be nice.

Doing some somewhat simplistic partitioning of a perhaps large
(but simplistic, so it fits into docs) data set would help motivate
use of partitioning facilities.

Applications need to be kept fairly tiny so that they represent
good examples without being of dominant size.