Increase the length of identifers from 63 characters to 128 characters or more

От Peter Burbery
Тема Increase the length of identifers from 63 characters to 128 characters or more
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
One-line Summary: There are use cases for long table names so people might use Oracle and MS SQL Server because Postgres does not support table names longer than 63 characters, so the max character limit should be increased to 128 or higher.

Business Use-case: I want to create a table named things_that_take_up_a_lot_of_storage_and_space_on_a_computer_and_hard_drive of 75 characters. I also want to create a column named thing_that_takes_up_a_lot_of_storage_and_space_on_a_computer_and_hard_drive_id of 78 characters. People have asked for this feature before. For more details, please see and visit https://www.reddit.com/r/PostgreSQL/comments/6kyyev/i_have_hit_the_table_name_length_limit_a_number/. In particular, see https://www.reddit.com/r/PostgreSQL/comments/6kyyev/i_have_hit_the_table_name_length_limit_a_number/#:~:text=been%20wondering%20the%20same which states I've been wondering the same. It comes down to changing NAMEDATALEN documented here: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/runtime-config-preset.html and someone made a patch that changes it to 256 characters: https://gist.github.com/langner/5c7bc1d74a8b957cab26

The Postgres people seem to be resistant to changing this. I accept that where possible one should keep identifiers short but descriptive but I haven't seen a good reason WHY it shouldn't be changed since there are many instances when remaining within 63 characters is quite difficult.

Sincerely,

Peter Burbery