commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose

От Robert Haas
Тема commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose
Дата
Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose  (Maciek Sakrejda <m.sakrejda@gmail.com>)
Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose  (Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se>)
Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose  (Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman@gmail.com>)
Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose  ("Andrey M. Borodin" <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru>)
Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose  (Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

The original intent of CommitFests, and of commitfest.postgresql.org
by extension, was to provide a place where patches could be registered
to indicate that they needed to be reviewed, thus enabling patch
authors and patch reviewers to find each other in a reasonably
efficient way. I don't think it's working any more. I spent a good
deal of time going through the CommitFest this week, and I didn't get
through a very large percentage of it, and what I found is that the
status of the patches registered there is often much messier than can
be captured by a simple "Needs Review" or "Waiting on Author," and the
number of patches that are actually in need of review is not all that
large. For example, there are:

- patches parked there by a committer who will almost certainly do
something about them after we branch
- patches parked there by a committer who probably won't do something
about them after we branch, but maybe they will, or maybe somebody
else will, and anyway this way we at least run CI
- patches parked there by a committer who may well do something about
them before we even branch, because they're not actually subject to
the feature freeze
- patches that we've said we don't want but the author thinks we do
(sometimes i agree with the author, sometimes not)
- patches that have long-unresolved difficulties which the author
either doesn't know how to solve or is in no hurry to solve
- patches that have already been reviewed by multiple people, often
including several committers, and which have been updated multiple
times, but for one reason or another, not committed
- patches that actually do need to be reviewed

What's a bit depressing is that this last category is a relatively
small percentage of the total. If you'd like to sit down and review a
bunch of patches, you'll probably spend AT LEAST as much time trying
to identify which CommitFest entries are worth your time as you will
actually reviewing. I suspect you could easily spend 2 or 3 times as
much time finding things to review as actually reviewing them,
honestly. And the chances that you're going to find the things to
review that most need your attention are pretty much nil. You could
happen just by chance to discover a patch that was worth weeks of your
time to review, but you could also miss that patch forever amidst all
the clutter.

I think there are a couple of things that have led to this state of
affairs. First, we got tired of making people mad by booting their
stuff out of the CommitFest, so we mostly just stopped doing it, even
if it had 0% chance of being committed this CommitFest, and really
even if it had a 0% chance of being committed ever. Second, we added
CI, which means that there is positive value to registering the patch
in the CommitFest even if committing it is not in the cards. And those
things together have created a third problem, which is that the list
is now so long and so messy that even the CommitFest managers probably
don't manage to go through the whole thing thoroughly in a month.

So, our CommitFest application has turned into a patch tracker. IMHO,
patch trackers intrinsically tend to suck, because they fill up with
garbage that nobody cares about, and nobody wants to do the colossal
amount of work that it takes to maintain them. But our patch tracker
sucks MORE, because it's not even intended to BE a general-purpose
patch tracker. I'm not saying that replacing it with (let me show how
old I am) bugzilla or whatever the hip modern equivalent of that may
be these days is the right thing to do, but it's probably worth
considering. If we decide to roll our own, that might be OK too, but
we have to come up with some way of organizing this stuff that's
better than what we have today, some way that actually lets you find
the stuff that you care about.

To give just one example that I think highlights the issues pretty
well, consider the "Refactoring" section of the current CommitFest.
There are 24 patches in there, and 13 of them are by committers. Now,
maybe some of those patches are things that the committer really wants
someone else to review, e.g.
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/48/3998/ seems like it might be
that. On the other hand, that one could also just be an idea Thomas
had that he doesn't really intend to pursue even if the reviews are
absolutely glowing, so maybe it's not worth spending time on after
all. Then there are things that are probably 100% likely to get
committed unless somebody objects, so I shouldn't bother looking at
them unless I want to object, e.g.
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/48/4939/ seems like it's probably
that. And, also, regardless of authorship, some of these patches have
already had a great deal of discussion, and some have had none, and
you can sort of tell that from looking at the time the patch was
created vs. the last activity, but it's really not that obvious. So
overall it's just really unclear where to spend time.

I wonder what ideas people have for improving this situation. I doubt
that there's any easy answer that just makes the problem go away --
keeping large groups of people organized is a tremendously difficult
task under pretty much all circumstances, and the fact that, in this
context, nobody's really the boss, makes it a whole lot harder. But I
also feel like what we're doing right now can't possibly be the best
that we can do.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com