Re: Simplify documentation related to Windows builds

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Simplify documentation related to Windows builds
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 11, 2024 at 9:27 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> So, yes, you're right that removing completely this list may be too
> aggressive for the end-user.  As far as I can see, there are a few
> things that stand out:
> - Diff is not mentioned in the list of dependencies on the meson page,
> and it may not exist by default on Windows.  I think that we should
> add it.
> - We don't use activeperl anymore in the buildfarm, and recommending
> it is not a good idea based on the state of the project.  If we don't
> remove the entry, I would switch it to point to msys perl or even
> strawberry perl.  Andres has expressed concerns about the strawberry
> part, so perhaps mentioning only msys perl would be enough?
> - The portion of the docs about command line editing with psql, cygwin
> being mentioned as an exception, does not apply AFAIK.
> - Mentioning more the packaging options that exist to not have to
> install individual MSIs would be a good addition.

I think that we need to get a more definitive answer to the question
of whether command-line editing works or not. I have the impression
that it never has. If it's started working, we should establish that
for certain and probably also establish what made it start working; if
it works provided you do X, Y, or Z, we should establish what those
things are.

I'm cool with adding diff to the list of dependencies.

I'd prefer to see us update the other links rather than delete them.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com