Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose
Дата
Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose  (Jacob Champion <jacob.champion@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 17, 2024 at 10:31 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> To my mind, the point of the time-boxed commitfests is to provide
> a structure wherein people will (hopefully) pay some actual attention
> to other peoples' patches.  Conversely, the fact that we don't have
> one running all the time gives committers some defined intervals
> where they can work on their own stuff without feeling guilty that
> they're not handling other people's patches.
>
> If we go back to the old its-development-mode-all-the-time approach,
> what is likely to happen is that the commit rate for not-your-own-
> patches goes to zero, because it's always possible to rationalize
> your own stuff as being more important.

We already have gone back to that model. We just haven't admitted it
yet. And we're never going to get out of it until we find a way to get
the contents of the CommitFest application down to a more reasonable
size and level of complexity. There's just no way everyone's up for
that level of pain. I'm not sure not up for that level of pain.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com