Re: Now I am back, next thing. Final PGS tuning.

От Jennifer Trey
Тема Re: Now I am back, next thing. Final PGS tuning.
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Massa, Harald Armin <chef@ghum.de> wrote:
Bill, Jennifer,

> *shared_buffers = 1024 # min 128kB or max_connections*16kB  ## Also to low.
> Right? I've got 3GB to work with!*

Assuming that's equating to 1G, then the value is about right.  Common
best practice is to set this value to 1/4 - 1/3 of the memory available
for PostgreSQL.  You're saying you'll have ~3G for PG, so 1G is about
right to start with.

"documenting" that for the wiki is still on my backlog; so, here:

shared_buffers of PostgreSQL on Windows != shared_buffers of PostgreSQL on Unix

My experience is that raising shared_memory on Windows above minimum+~20% is not helping performance; it's more effective to have that memory at Windows for caching. (at least up to server 2003)
I forgot to comment on this on Bill so its good you brought it up again.
says under shared_buffers
"If you have a system with 1GB or more of RAM, a reasonable starting value for shared_buffers is 1/4 of the memory in your system."
in your system ... that means I should count from 8GB right? Bill mentioned countring from the 3GB. What would you say Harald, is perhaps 1.5 GB more suitable, a comprise for my giga byte greed :P haha!

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare