Re: PGS Tuning Wizard destroys my login

От Jennifer Trey
Тема Re: PGS Tuning Wizard destroys my login
Дата
Список pgsql-general
It seems like my long message didnt make it :S Here it is again. (Perhaps it was because of the attached pic, I will leave it out this time)
------

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Massa, Harald Armin <chef@ghum.de> wrote:
Jennifer,

obviously you are on windows. And the problem you are describing seems to be:

"after running the tuning wizzard, the PostgreSQL Service does not start any more"

AT the same time you are describing some problem of

"you are not able to delete some Files / Directories connected with PostgreSQL-Databases, and you are not able to change ownership / take ownership of those files."

THAT gives reason to the assumption that you are using something Vistaish or Windows-7ish.

AND that the right structure of your file system around PostgreSQLs Files is rather screwed; not clear, by what or who.

SO, to help you to get to some solution:

1.) you should state the exact version of your operating system

Windows Web Server 2008 x64

2.) you should state the exact PostgreSQL Version

The latest available, installed this : postgresql-8.3.7-1-windows.exe

3.) exactly describe your Windows Authorization. Is there some Domain / ActiveDirectory going on? Do you really have MasterChiefAdministrator rights?

As far as I know, I have one user and that is the Administrator. Not sure if that is the commander in chief but obviously not, because he is screwing with me allot.

running lusrmgr.msc  I can see under user that there is a username :

postgre

with description : PostgreSQL service account

There is allot of changes that can be made on the properties here.

and to continue your diagnostics:

4.) Check the application event log of windows. "eventvwr" from the Command line, or dig through the Administration Panels

Ok, I did that. The export generated uglyness so I will be pasting those I found relevant and there was a few!

By Date ASC (Oldest first, and only errors)

FATAL: could not open configuration file "E:/PostgreSQLDATA/postgresql.conf": Permission denied
FATAL: could not open configuration file "E:/PostgreSQLDATA/postgresql.conf": Permission denied
FATAL: could not open configuration file "E:/PostgreSQLDATA/postgresql.conf": Permission denied              and some more of these ....
Timed out waiting for server startup
pg_ctl: PID file "E:/PostgreSQLDATA/postmaster.pid" does not exist
Is server running?
pg_ctl: PID file "E:/PostgreSQLDATA/postmaster.pid" does not exist

5.) Check for the logfiles of PostgreSQL within the pg_log directory.

I cannot enter that folder! Crazy! I command you to let me in!
No, I try to change the settings and permissions (there is like tousand entries to those things), i give full access but no difference! I don't get it! Make me the super chief damn it! Freaking Windows! Just crap and I am stuck with it.
Most likely reason is that postgres.exe is not allowed to open some file or port; to write to a log file or read it's databases or even read its configuration file postgresql.conf

I enter the properties. postgres is among the users. The only checked (for the entire folder) is 'Special Permissions', nothing else. (Oh yeah, postgre is the owner). Changing to full access says that Access denied. Please look at the JPEG I attached to this email, its marked with the steps.

So, next of this: check the file-ownerships and rights of your PostgreSQL Data directory. Especially, is the user owning the postgresql service allowed to read an change all the files within the PostgreSQL Data directory? Especially the postgresql.conf?

You seem to be on something here. Keep going! :)

Best luck,

Harald

Sincerely / Jennifer

Сообщение: Re: PGS Tuning Wizard destroys my login
Сообщение: Re: PGS Tuning Wizard destroys my login