Re: Problem with win32 installer for PG 8.0

От Frank D. Engel, Jr.
Тема Re: Problem with win32 installer for PG 8.0
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Given that I'm using Inno Setup for the project I am doing, I have a
comment here.  Inno Setup is easier to develop with than are any of the
"free" or inexpensive MSI installation tools I've looked at.  However,
if someone wants to put the extra time/effort or $$$ into building an
MSI installation, the MSI will provide more in the way of integration
with enterprise management tools, which would be difficult if not
impossible to do in Inno Setup.  My own project involves PostgreSQL as
well, for example, and I hope to wrap a silent install of PostgreSQL
into the installation, which overall will be built with Inno Setup.

Oh, and as for uninstalls and silent installations, Inno Setup also
provides that functionality automatically.  It can wrap the
installation into a single EXE file, it can do disk spanning, custom
install types, compressed data in the install file, creation of
desktop/start menu shortcuts, registry entries, multilingual installs,
etc. -- it's actually quite powerful, and it's free.

Another advantage: you can only run one MSI installer at a time, but
Inno Setup does not have that limitation.  To embed a silent install of
an MSI program into my installer, I couldn't very well use an MSI file
(even if I really wanted to), could I?

On Jan 17, 2005, at 4:03 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> Hi,
>> I installed beta 2 a couple of months ago, and today I
>> installed RC 5 and it seems there is no way to tell the
>> installer where to actually install, so I could not re use my
>> data cluster from the beta 2(with out renaming the directory
>> to the same name as what the installer would install).
>>
>> I am not sure it this is a limitation of the MSI installer or
>> it was just overlooked.
>
> The releasenotes clearly state that you need to do a dump/reload if you
> are upgrading from a version prior to beta5.
>
> As for telling it where to install, please see the FAQ. It is certainly
> possible, and always has been. Only the default has changed.
>

>> Also why do all the PG projects insist on using M$ installer
>> technology?  A better choice would be Inno Setup at
>> http://www.jrsoftware.org.  It's a ton easier to use and
>> would be a better choice than msi.
>
> You are clearly not administering a large environment... In such an
> environment, you generally do not prefer innosetup or any other
> homebrewn setup. MSIs support for shared components, rollbacks,
> uninstallations, plugin into management systems etc is a clear win
> there.
> (And I, and a lot of ppl I've spoken to, certainly prefer MSI by far
> for
> my personal machine as well)
>
> In what way would this be easier to use and a better choice than MSI?
>
> //Magnus

Frank D. Engel, Jr.  <fde101@fjrhome.net>

$ ln -s /usr/share/kjvbible /usr/manual
everlasting life.