Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/16/24 17:24, Jacob Champion wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 2:06 PM Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
>> Maybe the word "care" was a poor choice, but forcing authors to think
>> about and decide if they have the "time to shepherd a patch" for the
>> *next CF* is exactly the point. If they don't, why clutter the CF with it.
>
> Because the community regularly encourages new patch contributors to
> park their stuff in it, without first asking them to sign on the
> dotted line and commit to the next X months of their free time. If
> that's not appropriate, then I think we should decide what those
> contributors need to do instead, rather than making a new bar for them
> to clear.

If no one, including the author (new or otherwise) is interested in
shepherding a particular patch, what chance does it have of ever getting
committed?

IMHO the probability is indistinguishable from zero anyway.

Perhaps we should be more explicit to new contributors that they need to
either own their patch through the process, or convince someone to do it
for them.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team