Re: Rules: A Modest Proposal

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Rules: A Modest Proposal
Дата
Re: Rules: A Modest Proposal  (Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> David E. Wheeler wrote:
>> On Oct 4, 2009, at 1:57 PM, David Fetter wrote:
>>
>> >It's less about like or dislike and more about facing up to the
>> >reality that we've got a major legacy foot-gun left over from the
>> >experimentation of the Berkeley days.
>>
>> I think you're going to need to be a bit more concrete than that. In
>> what way is it a foot-gun? What examples can you provide? What,
>> exactly, are the issues?
>
> While I don't agree with David Fetter's premise, I think rehashing how
> we handle VIEWs would be a good step towards updatable views.  Right
> now, the implementation of that is stalled precisely because of the rule
> system.

This is the last I remember hearing of it, which seems to suggest that
only a week's worth of work (maybe a bit more for those of us who are
not Tom Lane) is needed:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-01/msg01746.php

But maybe you have some other thoughts?

...Robert