Re: File Fragmentation

От jg
Тема Re: File Fragmentation
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

> That doesn't make sense then, to have fragmentation if you are creating new
> tables with fresh data copied into them.  The files should be pretty much
> sequentially written.
>
> Ohhhh.... I see. You're using Windows. Maybe you need some OS with a better
> file system that doesn't fragment like that?

I know OS other than Windows will be better.

But, I think on any OS, I would have some trouble because the pattern of IO.

Each minute, each of the 50 tables has 10,000 new rows COPYed.

Normaly the filesystem try to keep the file (under the tables) continous with few fragment.
But the pattern is such, that it seems to me really difficult to prevent it.

Do you have any idea to mitigate the problem on Windows ?

JG