Re: survey: psql syntax errors abort my transactions

От Jeremy Schneider
Тема Re: survey: psql syntax errors abort my transactions
Дата
Re: survey: psql syntax errors abort my transactions  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On 7/2/20 09:28, David G. Johnston wrote:
The status quo prevailed since no-one chose to contribute further arguments for change and the original patch was retracted.  What kind of "bike-shedding" (which seems to be used incorrectly here) would you expect?

The bike-shedding comment reflects my sense of humor, which is evidently so dry that it can be entirely un-detectable.  :)  But overall I do think there's room for input from more people.  Might not change the outcome, I'm just curious if there are more people who'd have thoughts to offer.

I'm not sure hint text would be the right course, as the hint wouldn't make sense in the context of other clients and I don't know if we have a mechanism now for the server to change it's error response based on which client is being used.

One other thought occurred to me after sending this email - does ON_ERROR_ROLLBACK=interactive differentiate between syntax errors and other errors? Thinking about how users approach SQL, this feels significant. I'd happily want to let users at my company retry after syntax errors, but I'd want them to inspect any other error more closely.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Schneider
Database Engineer

Сообщение: Re: survey: psql syntax errors abort my transactions
Сообщение: Re: survey: psql syntax errors abort my transactions