Re: Fwd: How to connect PostgreSQL (9.6.17) database from Macbook Pro Terminal using JumpCloud password?

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Fwd: How to connect PostgreSQL (9.6.17) database from Macbook Pro Terminal using JumpCloud password?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 7/16/20 1:17 PM, Devraj B wrote:

Please reply to list also.
Ccing list.
> Thanks Adrian,
>
> I had granted LOGIN to  PostgreSQL user  firstname.lastname but do Not
> want to provide a database password,
> rather I wanna access the database using my JumpCloud password directly
> from my Macbook Pro using LDAP authentication or any other authentication.
>
> Please suggest me following:
>
>> But I want to setup JumpCloud or LDAP or any other authentication so
>> that I can connect PostgreSQL user  "firstname.lastname" directly from
>> my Macbook Pro Terminal using my JumpCloud Password. Like:-

That's outside my knowledge, so someone else is going to have to jump in
on this.

> [...]
>      > postgres=# select version();
>      > PostgreSQL 9.6.17 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC)
>     4.4.7
>      > 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-23), 64-bit
>      > postgres=# create user "firstname.lastname";
>      > CREATE ROLE
>      > postgres=# grant connect on database my_test_db to
>     "firstname.lastname";
>      > GRANT
>      > postgres=# \q
>      >
>      >  From server staging.mycompany.com <http://staging.mycompany.com>
>     <http://staging.mycompany.com> I can
>      > connect to the database using user  firstname.lastname successfully.
>      > [root@staging] #  psql -h localhost -U firstname.lastname -d
>     my_test_db
>      > my_test_db=>
>      >
>      > But I want to setup JumpCloud or LDAP or any other authentication so
>      > that I can connect PostgreSQL user  "firstname.lastname" directly
>     from
>      > my Macbook Pro Terminal using my JumpCloud Password. Like:-
>      >
>      > /Users/firstname.lastname >  psql -h staging.mycompany.com
>     <http://staging.mycompany.com>
>      > <http://staging.mycompany.com> -U firstname.lastname -d my_test_db
>      > Password for user firstname.lastname:  < I have Not given any
>     password
>      > when I created PostgreSQL user firstname.lastname above and
>     trying to
>      > authenticate here using my JumpCloud password, May be the same
>     way as I
>      > could connect above to root. But when I enter my JumpCloud
>     Password here
>      > there is an error. >
>      > psql: error: could not connect to server: FATAL:  password
>      > authentication failed for user "firstname.lastname"
>
>     Well I would say the Postgres server has pg_hba.conf setup to require
>     password authentication for host(ssl) connections. A good idea.
>
>     You need to back to part above where you shelled into psql prompt and
>     use ALTER ROLE:
>
>     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-alterrole.html
>
>     and do
>
>     ALTER ROLE firstname.lastname WITH LOGIN PASSWORD 'the_password';
>
>     You need the LOGIN if you want that role to connect directly to
>     database.
>
>     FYI, the above can be done as part of CREATE ROLE also:
>
>     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-createrole.html
>
>     You probably want to read through above anyway to see what the options
>     are and they do.
>
>      >
>      > What more to set up so that I can connect PostgreSQL (9.6.17)
>     database
>      > using PostgreSQL user ( with the Same name as of my JumpCloud/
>     Macbook
>      > Pro user) directly from my Macbook Pro terminal using my JumpCloud
>      > Password authentication?
>      > What do I need to set up in pg_hba.conf ?

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: Fwd: How to connect PostgreSQL (9.6.17) database from Macbook Pro Terminal using JumpCloud password?
Сообщение: Re: Fwd: How to connect PostgreSQL (9.6.17) database from Macbook Pro Terminal using JumpCloud password?