Re: Use "samehost" by default in pg_hba.conf?

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Use "samehost" by default in pg_hba.conf?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Jaime Casanova (jcasanov@systemguards.com.ec) wrote:
>
>> just my 2 cents. but i always wondered about the existence of
>> listen_addresses at all... to me the only reason it exists is to force
>> me to change 'localhost' to '*' after installing, something i always
>> do almost automaticaly =)
>>

> Try running two postmasters on the same box using the same port (but
> different IPs) w/o being able to control what IPs it listens on.

Right. listen_addresses replaced two previous settings: tcpip_socket and
virtual_host. And back before 8.0 the default setting was not to listen
on *any* IP address.

I'm inclined to think our default setting is about right. It is very
common to run an application on the same machine as the database server
it uses, and then there is no often need to adjust listen_addresses at all.

cheers

andrew