Re: Documentation Update: WAL & Checkpoints

От Michael Renner
Тема Re: Documentation Update: WAL & Checkpoints
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Michael Renner wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> this is a small update to the first paragraph of the WAL configuration
>> chapter, going into more detail WRT redo vs. checkpoint records, since
>> the underlying behavior is currently only deducible from the source. I'm
>> not perfectly sure if I got everything right, so feel free to change as
>> necessary.

[..]

> I read over you patch and I was afraid it was trying to put too much
> information into a single paragraph, so I added a second paragraph that
> just talks about checkpoint smoothing.  I did not address the issue of
> when the REDO WAL entry is written --- that is probably too much detail
> for our documentation.

Too bad, understanding how this works is necessary to properly implement
more complex log shipping setups. Maybe /backend/access/transam/README
instead? Or specific "under the hood" paragraphs for selected areas of
the DBMS?

best regards,
Michael