Re: Permanent settings

От Tino Wildenhain
Тема Re: Permanent settings
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Can you explain why this wouldn't be usable?
>
> Because you will end up with an ever-growing file, that will be a PITA to
> deal with. Consider it after 10k+ changes. (yes, I can see that happening.
> You know how some people use GUIs) Or 100k. The problem does not happen at
> 100 lines...

I don't think even 100k lines would be a problem. And there should be a
penalty if someone would have automated settings to be written
permanently.

> I can see the solution with a single file with them all in, but it needs to
> be able to overwrite them IMHO.

Why? If you want to strip down the file you can just postprocess it.
Either a tool or even a little sed-script could do. And you would
save the records for reference.

+1 for Aidans idea.

Regards
Tino