Re: plz unsubscribe me

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: plz unsubscribe me
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Bill Moran wrote:

>> Tom Lane wrote:
>
> I don't find it so.  That's like saying it's ridiculous to expect the
> average auto owner to change the oil every 3000 miles.  Reading headers

Uhh... no. A better analogy would be:

expecting an average postgresql user to vacuum

Which is completely different then expecting the average user to have a
clue or care what an email header is. Email headers are part of the
source code of email, not part of the usage to users (man that sounds
weird).

> isn't a terribly esoteric thing to do.  I taught an "intro to email" class
> back in 2000 and spent about 5 minutes explaining headers and what they
> meant.  The students didn't have any difficulty grasping the concept, and
> I got the impression that they found the information enlightening.

All due respect, but you are the 2% of the 98%. Not a common user,
frankly no common DBA should ever have to read email headers, ever. That
is what an systems administrator is for (sometimes, yes they are one and
the same).

>> Our lists (the @postgresql.org ones) are the only lists to which I
>> subscribe that do not put the unsubscribe info at the bottom of every
>> email sent to the list.
>
> I guess that makes RFC2369 another great idea that nobody's paying attention
> to ...
>
> shame ...

Now that I won't disagree with but then again, when was the last time
you say a compliant web browser?  ;)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/