Re: Problems with Perl

От Kevin O'Gorman
Тема Re: Problems with Perl
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Kevin O'Gorman writes:
>
> > 2) Because _something_ was made for Perl, the 'make install'
> > has to be root.  Okay.  But this is leaving some stuff behind
> > that is owned by root.  When I attempt a subsequent
> > 'make clean; make' I get into permissions trouble, and have
> > to delete these things manually.
>
> Yes, this is definitely broken.  I just read that old thread ("[HACKERS]
> perl interface bug?", 14 October 1998), and it was already considered
> questionable then.
>
> To recap, the Pg.so thing needs to know where libpq lives.  If you link
> with libpq out of the source tree then Pg.so forever tries to find libpq
> there. So you relink Pg.so during 'make install' when libpq is already
> installed at it's final location.
>
> If I'm not completely mistaken, this behaviour could really only happen on
> HPUX.  Also on other platforms you would normally have to point
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to $(libdir) in order to get anything at all working.

Well, I had the behavior on my RedHat 6.1 system.  That's Linux, of course.
Is that what you mean, or is it that the current behavior is there so that
HPUX can be supported?

--
Kevin O'Gorman  (805) 650-6274  mailto:kogorman@pacbell.net
Permanent e-mail forwarder:  mailto:Kevin.O'Gorman.64@Alum.Dartmouth.org

"There is a freedom lying beyond circumstance,
derived from the direct intuition that life can
be grounded upon its absorption in what is
changeless amid change"   -- Alfred North Whitehead