Re: Ignore Visual Studio's Temp Files While Working with PG on Windows

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Ignore Visual Studio's Temp Files While Working with PG on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Yasir <yasir.hussain.shah@gmail.com> writes:
> We can add it to "~/.config/git/ignore" as it will ignore globally on
> windows which we don't want. Also we don't have ".git/info/exclude" in PG
> project's so the best place left is projects's .gitignore. That's what was
> patched.

As Peter said, we're not going to do that.  The intention with
the project's .gitignore files is to ignore files that are
intentionally built by our "make" targets (and, hopefully, will be
removed by "make maintainer-clean").  Anything else that you want
git to ignore should be in a personal ignore list; especially
files that are platform-specific.  The fact that it's reasonable
to ignore ".vs" files when working with your toolset doesn't mean
that it's reasonable to ignore them when working on some other
platform.

If we used some other policy, we'd have tons of debates about
which files were reasonable to exclude.  For myself, for example,
I exclude "*~" (Emacs backup files) and "*.orig" (patch(1)
backup files) but those choices are very much dependent on the
set of tools I choose to use.  Other developers have other
personal exclusion lists.  If we tried to make the project's
files be the union of all those lists, we'd be at serious risk
of ignoring stuff we absolutely shouldn't ignore in some contexts.