Re: Connecting and creating db

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Connecting and creating db
Дата
Re: Connecting and creating db  (Michael Wood <esiotrot@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-novice
"Sandy Keathley" <sandy@keathleywebs.com> writes:
> Although I have used Postgres before, some years ago, I had never installed it (maybe I still
> haven't).  I have installed version 9.0 by RPM, on an RHEL 4 box.  I can start the server,
> but there are two problems:

Whose RPM exactly?

> 1. logged in as user "postgres", I cannot connect to the database server without first issuing
> (every time) the command: export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/pgsql/lib"
> This is annoying.

Sounds like the RPM author neglected to see to updating the ldconfig
data.  If the RPM stuck a file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d pointing to
/usr/pgsql/lib, you should just be able to run /sbin/ldconfig (as root)
and be good --- otherwise consider doing that manually.

> 2.  once connected to the cluster, I cannot create a database.  There is no error message,
> and nothing is logged.  I am using the command "createdb graves". Nothing happens.

I wonder whether you're typing a shell command at the SQL prompt?
If so, the first problem is you didn't terminate the command with
a semicolon, and the second is that in SQL you'd have to say
"create database graves;" --- createdb is a shortcut for doing this
from a shell prompt, not something you can use within SQL.