Re: Same-page UPDATEs in bloated tables

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Same-page UPDATEs in bloated tables
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Using the same page for an updated tuple is generally a useful
> optimization, so I don't think you have much hopes for having it
> disabled.

Especially not since there's no very reasonable way for anything as
low-level as heap_update to know that "the table is way beyond its
nominal size".  What's nominal size anyway?

Actually, the recent thinking in this area has been to try to *increase*
the usage of same-page UPDATE, so as to prevent table bloat in the first
place ...