Re: Kudos for Reviewers -- straw poll

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Kudos for Reviewers -- straw poll
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:10:23AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 06/27/2013 08:56 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:> Adding the names to each
> release note item is not a problem;  the
> > problem is the volume of names that overwhelms the release note text.  If
> > we went that direction, I predict we would just remove _all_ names from
> > the release notes.
>
> That's not a realistic objection.  We'd be talking about one or two more
> names per patch, with a handful of exceptions.

It is realistic because I did this for 9.2 beta and people didn't like
it;  how much more realistic do you want?

> If you're going to make an objection, object to the amount of extra work
> it would be, which is significant with the current state of our
> technology.  Realistically, it'll take the help of additional people.

No extra work required, it is all copy/paste for me.

> On 06/27/2013 09:19 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Yeah.  Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of the audience for
> > the release notes doesn't actually give a darn who implemented what.
>
> There is some argument to be made about moving the whole "list of names"
> to some other resource, like a web page.  In fact, if the mythical land
> where we have a new CF application, that other resource could even be
> generated by the CF app with some hand-tweaking (this would also require
> some tweaks to community profiles etc.).

Yes, I am fine with moving all names.  However, I predict you will do
more to demotivate patch submitters than you will to motivate patch
reviewers.  That is fine with me, as motivating developers/reviewers is
not our top priority.

> What I would be opposed to is continuing to list the original authors in
> the release notes and putting reviewers, testers, co-authors, etc. on a
> separate web page.  If we're gonna move people, let's move *all* of
> them.  Also, it needs to be on something more trustworthy than the wiki,
> like maybe putting it at postgresql.org/developers/9.3/

I think you will have trouble keeping those two lists synchronized.  I
think you will need to create a release note document that includes all
names, then copy that to a website and remove the names just before the
release is packaged.

http://enterprisedb.com