Re: BUG #5741: syslog line length

От Noah Misch
Тема Re: BUG #5741: syslog line length
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 06:46:21PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Noah Misch <noah@2ndQuadrant.com> writes:
> > A PG_SYSLOG_LIMIT value that loses data to truncation on nearly every default
> > GNU/Linux installation makes for a poor default.
>
> When I changed it, it was on the strength of tests showing that Fedora
> 8's default syslogger had a limit of 2KB.  A quick check shows this is
> still the case in Fedora 15.  So I'm not convinced that "nearly every"
> is anywhere near true.

Point taken.  Marc hit the 1024 limit in RHEL 5, which appears to be based on
Fedora 6.  Perhaps Fedora began to patch in the higher limit in 7 or 8.  I also
observed the 1024 limit in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.  It is the limit in the latest
source distributions of sysklogd, too.

> > How about 896?
>
> But having said that, I could go with 896 (or perhaps 900, which seems
> a shade less weird).

That works for me.

--
Noah Misch                    http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/