Rules: A Modest Proposal

От David Fetter
Тема Rules: A Modest Proposal
Дата
Re: Rules: A Modest Proposal  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Re: Rules: A Modest Proposal  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Folks,

At the moment, user-accessible RULEs have, as far as I know, just two
sane uses:

* Writing to VIEWs
* Routing writes to partitions

And the second is pretty thin, given the performance issues for
numbers of partitions over 2.

What say we see about addressing those problems separately, and
removing user-accessible RULEs entirely?

There are already patches to deal with the first, at least for the
kinds of VIEWs where this can be deduced automatically, and people are
starting to take on the second.

The one remaining (as in nobody's really addressed it with code) issue
would be triggers on VIEWs.  As other systems have done it, it's
clearly not essentially impossible.  What would be needed?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!