Re: Practical impediment to supporting multiple SSL libraries

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: Practical impediment to supporting multiple SSL libraries
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 10:42:33AM -0400, Greg Stark wrote:
> Hm, now that I've had some sleep I think I see where you're going with this.
>
> As long as there's a defined wire protocol (and there will always be one) then
> there's nothing wrong with what the psqlODBC driver is doing and having a
> libpq mode that hands off small bits of the unparsed stream isn't really any
> different than just having the driver read the unparsed data from the socket.

Well, the main motivation for this is that when a new version of the
protocol appears, libpq will support it but psqlODBC won't. If libpq
provides a way to get these small bits of the unparsed stream in a
protocol independant way, then that problem goes away.

There are a number of other (primarily driver) projects that would
benefit from being able to bypass the PGresult structure for storing
data.

Have a nice day,