WAL logging of heap_mark4update

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема WAL logging of heap_mark4update
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hackers,

In access/heap/heapam.c, in heap_mark4update(), there's a comment that
states
/* * XLOG stuff: no logging is required as long as we have no * savepoints. For savepoints private log could be used...
*/

Is this still true in light of 8.0's savepoints?  If it isn't, maybe
it's a good idea to update the comment.  I don't really understand the
issue: I assume that since the marking changes the page on disk, it
would need to be WAL-logged; however, since the change needs not be
permanent because the lock doesn't need to be preserved across a crash,
we just skip it.

I think the comment was made assuming that savepoints would be
implemented using REDO, and that in our multiple-Xid design does not
hold.  So it's inaccurate.  Am I right?

In any case I'm contemplating changing exclusive row locks to use
LockAcquire, and supporting shared row locks using the same mechanism.
All this per previous discussion on -hackers.  We could get rid of
heap_mark4update if that's done, right?

"Saca el libro que tu religi�n considere como el indicado para encontrar la
oraci�n que traiga paz a tu alma. Luego rebootea el computador
y ve si funciona" (Carlos Ducl�s)

Сообщение: Re: FATAL: catalog is missing 1 attribute(s) for relid 16396
Сообщение: Re: FATAL: catalog is missing 1 attribute(s) for relid