Re: why not type casting by default in prepared statements?

От Harald Krake
Тема Re: why not type casting by default in prepared statements?
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On Saturday 16 November 2002 05:20 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> This has been suggested, and rejected, repeatedly.

ah!
Sorry for the post. Obviously I used the wrong patterns
searching through the archives.

> It's not a good idea to apply a driver-side band-aid to mask a
> server-side problem;

agreed.

> In other words, any driver-side solution
> will fix some queries and break others.

imho it will only break queries written by "postgres-aware" programmers.
I suppose, most of the java/jdbc code written for other
databases does not contain any casts (in prepared statements) because
the programmers leave that up to the server backend and/or the driver.
And if you look at setString(), even the postgres driver casts, respectively
quotes.
What happens if someone tries to move from XY-DB to postgres --
like me -- is that postgres performs very bad compared to XY-DB und thus
might be considered as slow, which it isn't. In my case postgres now
outperforms the former commercial database significantly (approx. 3-5
times faster!).

> There will be a real solution in the backend someday soon, perhaps 7.4.

until then, what about a switch, for instance as an option to the url,
for those who don't want to change their code? (like me ;-)

regards,
harald.