Re: Partial indexes Vs standard indexes : Insert performance

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Partial indexes Vs standard indexes : Insert performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Gregory Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> But if you're just looking up a single record I wouldn't expect it to be much
> faster to look it up in the smaller partial index than in the larger index.
> Indexes find records in log(n) time and log() grows awfully slowly.

Yeah.  Given the proportions mentioned in the original message, I think
one index on the whole table and one on just the ICMP records is
probably the best solution.  A partial index covering most of a table is
not going to win enough to justify its maintenance overhead.