Re: No default for (user-specific) service file location on Windows?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: No default for (user-specific) service file location on Windows?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> writes:
> We can't change the default file in older branches obviously, but I'd be a bit
> worried about changing the default in the next major version either as it would
> add unnecessary pain for users that do know and rely on the current default.  I
> guess we have to live with it, and properly document it.

Yeah, agreed.  Documentation fix seems like the way to go.

I do not like your proposed wording, as it seems way too dense.
Can't we avoid the parenthetical remarks (plural) inside a sub-clause?
You're asking the reader to keep track of about three levels of
interrupt.

Maybe just put the Windows info in a separate sentence:

    ... located at ~/.pg_service.conf</filename>.
    On Microsoft Windows, it is located at
    %APPDATA%\postgresql\.pg_service.conf, where %APPDATA% means the
    Application Data subdirectory in the user's profile.
    In either case, the location can be overridden by setting ...

ISTR there's precedent elsewhere for doing it about like that.

Сообщение: Re: In case of network issues, how long before archive_command does retries
Сообщение: Re: In case of network issues, how long before archive_command does retries