Postgres dump & restore madness

От Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes
Тема Postgres dump & restore madness
Дата
Re: Postgres dump & restore madness
Список pgsql-novice

Hello, all.

I need to transfer a database from postgres 7.3.3 to another server, managed
by other people, running version 7.2.3.

So, I've pg_dump'ed the db with SQL output.

While visually inspecting the file, I've noticed that were no reference
to table constraints, like foreign keys. Going on with the process, I've
tried to restore the database using psql -f <filename> and it generated
tons of errors (one error per SQL command, I guess) related to SQL syntax.

All tables  and the database itself were created OK (except by the lack
of constraints) but they weren't populated (certainly the number of
SQL syntax errors can explain this very well).

So, here go my questions (please forgive my dumbness) :

1 - How can a postgresql database be safely restored with all constraints, views,
    functions and other non-data related information?

2 - When I dump a db into SQL commands, they are supposed to be more or less
    portable, aren't they?

3 - Can anyone provide some ideas about how can I make this process work? I'm
    really begining to become frustrated about this.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks indeed.

marcus.

   http://www.vlinfo.com.br