Re: Let's Do the CoC Right

От FarjadFarid\(ChkNet\)
Тема Re: Let's Do the CoC Right
Дата
Список pgsql-general
A number of contributors have asked why we should have Coc.

Whilst we have been lucky so far. Unfortunately people behave differently when writing emails. This is because over 50%
ofour interactions are through body language and we don't see each other face to face. We don't really know each
other'sbackground, experience and capacities.

Freedom is not about saying anything we like anyway we like. For all our freedom is automatically limited by other
people'sfreedom. That's life whatever species we care to look at.

Simply look at the abuse some people are getting on Twitter/facebook. Even on this thread someone ,I have no doubt
unintentionallyand only because of current climate, automatically used religious connotations in replying to me. Even
thoughI am not a Muslim, I am a Baha'i.

As postgresql grows even more which I sincerely hope it does. We need direction so we can keep the best of traditions
for
whoever may come on board but at the same time have the flexibility to change with time.

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Geoff Winkless
Sent: 22 January 2016 09:56
To: David E. Wheeler
Cc: pgsql-general
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Let's Do the CoC Right

On 22 January 2016 at 05:25, David E. Wheeler <david@justatheory.com> wrote:
> I can’t help that there are a whole lot of white guys working on this document, with very little feedback from the
peoplewho it’s likely to benefit (only exception I spotted in a quick scan was Regina; sorry if I missed you). I
suspectthat most of you, like me, have never been the target of the kinds os behaviors we want to forbid.

Others have addressed the reasons for not going with the Covenant; however I would like to make the point that, just
becauseI'm a white straight male, it doesn't mean that there haven't been occasions when I have suffered from
prejudice:I didn't talk the right way, my parents didn't have enough money, I'm too geeky, I wore the wrong clothes, I
havea name that was a double-gift for mean kids (UK readers will remember Rainbow, I expect) etc etc etc.

Admittedly most of that has faded since childhood but there have been aspects of it even in places I have worked as an
adult(thankfully not where I am now) and we don't even have recourse to the legal avenues that have been created for
racialand sexual discrimination; it's probably one of the reasons that geeks find ourselves in these tech-based online
communitiesso often - there's so little chance of being bullied by the cool kids.

I also have a feeling that that might have something to do with why there's quite such a pushback against the type of
personwho shouts loudly and motivates others to form a mob to get his or her own way (and therefore why the covenant is
unlikelyto gain traction here).

Finally, to open a new thread and effectively say "you know the work that you guys have put in over the last month, I'm
sureit's fine, and I haven't bothered to read the whole thread, but why don't you do it Right instead?" is pretty
insulting,don't you think?

Geoff